Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBQ pork egg rolls!!

Let me just tell you how thankful I was to be watching the Food Network a few months ago.  Down Home With the Neelys is one of my most favorite shows to watch, and I TOTALLY got sucked into the show that day.  The recipe I'm posting tonight was adapted from Pat and Gina's recipe.

BBQ Pulled Pork:

-1 2lb pork butt, fat trimmed
-salt and pepper
-1 tbsp paprika
-3/4 cup bbq sauce, plus more for drizzling and serving
-1/2 cup apple juice
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
-1 tsp soy sauce

Peach Dipping Sauce:

-3/4 cup peach jam (I had homemade from my mom, MMMMM!!)
-3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
-2 tbsp dijon mustard
-2 tsp ginger (I used dried, fresh ginger was a bit too strong for me)

Egg Rolls:

-Peanut or canola oil, for frying
-1 egg, beaten,
-1 tablespoon water
-1 pkg egg roll wrappers
-1 pint coleslaw (I made my own...1 pkg coleslaw mix, 1/2 cup onions, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup mustard, and 1/2 cup sugar)

Directions

For the pork:
Season the pork with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Add the pork butt to a medium-large size crockpot.  Add all rest of ingredients.  Turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours.  Shred the meat in the crockpot using 2 forks, then let sit in the crockpot to soak in all the sauce

In a large pan, heat oil for frying (I have a non-sloped skillet that I use, and I usually fill it about halfway with oil).  Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl.  Take one egg roll wrapper and brush the edges with the egg wash.  Place a small spoonful of pork, then a small spoonful of the coleslaw towards one corner of the wrapper.  Fold up the bottom part of the wrapper, then fold in the sides (Kinda think of it how you would wrap up a sub sandwich at Subway, lol).  Continue to roll the egg roll, keeping everything tucked in nice and tight.  Place finished egg rolls on a plate (I like to get them all prepared before I start cooking them!)

Add the egg rolls in batches to the oil and fry.  Once they are golden brown, use tongs to flip them over.  Remove them from the pan and drain on paper towels.  

For the sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well.  Serve egg rolls with dipping sauce on the side!

SO this was definitely my first time using egg roll wrappers, and the first time doing anything is scaaaaaaaary!  They are seriously so easy to work with, I promise!  We usually drain them in a big tupperware bowl lined with paper towels, so we can leave the lid on it to keep them warm as I finish the others.  This recipe makes about 20 large egg rolls.  We ate it with a big skillet of grilled veggies and some fried rice!

I know this one seems like a LOT of work (Drew had all the dishes done when I started, and by the time I was done the sink and counter were super full again!) but you will NOT be disappointed!!  These egg rolls will spice up any party, but are also super tasty for dinner as well!!  

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment